CELEBRITY HUB

Jul 23, 2008

Bollywood Actress Mallika Sherawat Interview


Mallika Sherawat defends her trademark and opens up to BT

Just a few years ago she was this girl from Haryana who rode tractors on farms and came to Mumbai hoping to make a mark in tinsel town. Today, Mallika Sherawat’s done more than that by stepping into Hollywood and walking down the Cannes red carpet with Jackie Chan. Incidentally, she’s also the first actress here to have a trademark of her own name, which means no one can use her name for publicity or for any other commercial purpose without her consent. In an exclusive interview with BT, yes — she rarely talks to the media otherwise, Mallika spoke about everything from brand Mallika to her obsession with dental hygiene! Read on...
Brand

Mallika... why did you feel the need to have a trademark?
This is something my limited Haryanvi brain struggles to decipher. My brilliant lawyer’s handling it and would know better.

But isn’t this more a phenomenon in the west?
So are multiplexes, but there’s one in Rohtak now!

You play the quirky and kinky Pagli in your next film. Tell us about some of your quirks in real life?
Well, I’m very pushy about my vegetarian agenda. I nag my poor brother everyday about it and I’m obsessed with dental hygiene.

You always seem to play a role that is as good or even better than that of the hero of the film. A conscious decision to be unconventional?
The conscious decision is to accept only scripts and roles that I love. And occasionally succumb to greed! By the way in both Ugly Aur Pagli and Nagin, Ranvir Shorey and Irrfan Khan have better roles than I do.

Doesn’t your choice of roles keep you away from acting with the top heroes?
Stories and roles are more important to me than co-stars, although there are a couple of top heroes whose work and choices I admire.

You must be excited about playing the nagin in Jennifer Lynch’s movie. What about the other international film you were doing?
Never been more excited! I’ve been a huge fan of her father and Blue Velvet’s one of my favourite films of all time. I also loved Jennifer’s last film, Surveillance. I’m now super excited about working with Rob Kurtzman on the film. He’s done all the Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez films and also the Evil Dead films. The other international film has taken some time as the script has been going through rewrites.


Did you refuse to appear on Dus Ka Dum as you didn’t want to share screen space with Salman Khan? Is there a problem between the two of you?
I have no problems with anyone, as long as they don’t have problems with me. My publicist decides where I should make an appearance and I obediently follow her advice.

source:bombaytimesofindia

0 Comments: