CELEBRITY HUB

Dec 23, 2010

Farah Khan Interview


Farah: 'I don't like bland men, bland food and bland movies!'

She's two good. 'Main Hoon Na' and 'Om Shanti Om' have soared her stock in the cine market. Farah Khan, ace choreographer turned director, is serving up her third effort 'Tees Maar Khan' showcasing Akshay Kumar, Katrina Kaif and Akshaye Khanna. 'Sheila ki jawaani', the catchy chartbuster of 'TMK', admittedly, has turned out to be the biggest high of her career spanning 18 years. Farah promises full throttle 'masala' entertainment with 'TMK', as she truly does not take a shine to bland fare…

Farah Khan is making the right moves and taking the right steps. In consolidating her image as a choreographer turned director who promises full on entertainment in her flicks. With 'Tees Maar Khan' slated for an X'mas release, illumining Akshay Kumar, Katrina Kaif and Akshaye Khanna, Farah promises a veritable treat of entertainment that is likely to have you romping back to the theatres to relish the cinematic treat, once again.

The mother of triplets, wedded to editor and director Shirish Kunder, Farah Khan has her hands full and admits that three happens to be a recurring karmic number that keeps zooming back into her life with regularity.

Excerpts from a chat with the feisty Khan…

How would you describe the experience of making your third film 'Tees Maar Khan'?

My experience has been rather good. We finished the movie before time. I had taken 70 days from Akshay Kumar but we finished the movie in just 58 days. It was the first time my husband and I were producing a film. Shirish Kunder is a very active producer. It was good because my babies were also on the set, the company is called Three's Company it's named after my babies. It was a good experience. Like we say in the filmy jargon the film is hot right now and we are hoping to make it more sizzling hot by the time it releases.

You've made an 'item song' with Salman Khan in this movie, did you miss Shah Rukh?

Yes, I did on the first two days. But Salman has done a fabulous job on the 'item song'. It is rather different in the sense that he does not take of his shirt. This 'item song' is a gift to all Salman fans who call him Salman Bhai because he is playing a 'bhai' in the song. Salman is in a typical Muslim 'look' and it is shot in a Muslim locality. Even Katrina has been given the 'Pakeezah' kind of 'look', so it is a different kind of an 'item song'.

What does the title actually signify?

'Tees Maar Khan' means a smart aleck, he is a con man, and he calls himself a crime 'kalakaar'. The story of this film has been picked up from Indian folklore. Legend has it here existed a man called Tees Maar Khan during the reign of Akbar who was very smart and an expert in conning people. He killed 30 flies and told everybody who heard him that he killed 30. People started thinking that he killed 30 lions and so he was named Tees Maar Khan. This movie is a modernised version about this con man that thugs people by using his brains and not using his hands. As my third film, it establishes the Farah Khan brand. It's bigger, it's madder, it's very colorful, it's got full 'masala'. I don't like bland food, I don't like bland movies and I don't like bland men. Everything has to be hot and spicy. So, this movie is exactly that.

News has it that you had asked all your crew members to switch off their phones during the filming of 'TMK'. Is it true?

It happened during the shoot of Katrina's item song 'Sheila Ki Jawani' which is not an 'item song' in the film. In the film, Katrina is a wannabe; she wishes to do an 'item song' desperately and become an actress. So she gets to perform an item number called 'Sheila ki jawaani' in a Bhojpuri film. That song was very hot and she was wearing a costume which was very sensual. Loads of people used to click photos through cameras in their phones, so we had confiscated all the phones. We had made a closed set kind of an atmosphere. But then three days later Katrina herself started complaining that the energy on the set is very low. People should be screaming. Luckily, on the last day we had put up the 'jumma chumma' set where we had 200 odd people! Katrina got very charged up because people were screaming and shouting. It had turned into one big rock concert! I'd say that 'Sheila ki jawaani' is the biggest phenomenon in my 18 year old career. It's a rage already and I'm sure that people will come to see it in the theatres.

Every movie sends out a message, what message does 'Tees Maar Khan' give out?

There isn't any social message in the film. The hero in the film is con man. We called him half Robin Hood, as he takes from the rich but doesn't give it to the poor. So there isn't any message as such. Come, have a good time, is all that my film says.

You have also given a break to some of the contestants of 'Dance India Dance', the reality show centred around dance on Zee T.V…

When I had gone to judge 'Dance India Dance' I had asked Dharmesh as I was very impressed by him. We were supposed to be making a promotional music video for the film and I wanted Dharmesh to choreograph it. I kept my promise and Dharmesh has choreographed the title track of 'Tees Maar Khan' which will be on air from Sunday. It was a different experience for him also as he hasn't choreographed for a film before. Also Geeta who has been working with me since the past 18 years has also choreographed and will be co credited as choreographer along with me in the film.

Reports say that you have also given a contestant a chance to perform in the film?

Yes, Shakti has also performed in the film because when I had gone for the 'Dance India Dance' finale they had requested me to allow the winner to perform in my film even if it is just one or two shots. Shakti, of course, has also danced in the music video. The good part is that the video has been composed by my husband Shirish Kunder for the first time and the lyrics have also been written by him. I think it's a rocking song!

The title says a lot. Like your other movies 'Mani Hoon Na', 'Om Shanti Om', 'Tees Maar Khan' also has three words in the title. Any specific reason?

You will have to ask my husband this question. I feel that in my life the importance of three has increased, my first film 'Main Hoon Na' had three words, then came 'Om Shanti Om', and now 'Tees Maar Khan'. We also have three children and I am hoping for a third hit. So it just seems to be connected to me.

There were media reports claiming that you had also planned Katrina's diet, since you wanted her to be in better shape for the 'Sheila' song track…

No, I hadn't planned her diet. If I could plan a diet, wouldn't I plan mine first? Katrina has worked very hard. When she first came to know that she was going to perform a song like 'Sheila ki jawani' which could possibly be the best dance number of her career till date, she took it up on herself to do it. I gave her DVDs with Madhuri Dixit's numbers; I wanted the same kind of sensuality and ease. Not to copy the steps but to get the attitude, she watched all the DVDs. When Akki Narula and me discussed the costume with her and told her that she was to be wearing costumes which you hadn't worn till date, she trusted me that I wouldn't present her in a vulgar or obscene way as I have been presenting all my actresses very well. So she took it upon herself that she wanted a body like that. When you watch the song you will say that it is the best body right now.

It will be very interesting to watch Katrina perform on a Bhojpuri song…

Exactly! We tried making a Bhojpuri song but it turned out to be very classy. Finally it became a Bhojpuri made Broadway song. All the people in the industry as well as my friends were shocked to see Katrina dance so well and her body was amazing too. All that credit goes to her for working so hard and getting a body like that. She rehearsed on that song for 10 to 12 days. We appointed a belly dancer to teach her belly dancing and her belly is looking very hot.

There was talk that that because of the belly dancing Katrina had developed cramps?

Yes, that's true. One day during the rehearsal, we had to send her home. Belly dancing is very difficult, you have to use the little muscles in your stomach, so yes, it was a little painful.

Are you under more pressure, when your family is present on the sets of your film?

There isn't much pressure, but yes, the situation needs to be dealt with very tactfully and I am not good with it. I have to think ten times before saying something rudely to them. I had to handle it very diplomatically and that was not very easy for me.

This is your first movie with Akshay as an actor, what do you think is his strong point?

I have worked 'n' number of times with Akshay, I have also choreographed a number of songs featuring him. But yes, this is the first time I am working with him as a director. So initially we didn't know each other's way of working, but eventually we found a good easy way of working. Now I know when he improvises how much I need to restrict him and how much to set him free. But I have made him look good in the film, very handsome and dashing the way Akshay Kumar has to look. I feel he is a very good looking man and I have presented him in that way.

Your son is also very attached to Katrina?

I have started calling Katrina my daughter in law because there was a full blown scene going on between Czar and Katrina. He used to wipe off his mom's kiss, but kept Katrina's.

What is the USP of the film?

There are plenty of USPs in this film. One is I made a film after 3 years, the second is Katrina and Akshay as never seen before. Akshay isn't playing a nerd in this film, he is a hero the way I like them. Katrina looks very hot. Vishal Shekhar and Shirish have done a very good job with the music. 'Tees Maar Khan' is a very entertaining film.

In 'Om Shanti Om' there were many stars in a song number, which stars are we going to see in 'Tees Maar Khan'?

As you know that Salman Khan is already doing a song called 'wallah wallah' in 'Tees Maar Khan'. Apart from him, Anil Kapoor has also done a small cameo which was very funny. Anil was very sporting; he has done his Oscar award dance in the film. As for the rest, the film didn't require any other celebrities. There weren't any cameos in 'Main Hoon Na' either, because it didn't require them. Only 'Om Shanti Om' required it as it was based on the film industry. Chunky did a small part again, which was very funny and of course, you will see Twinkle after a very long time on camera because she is credited as a producer and is included in the end credit song. And for the first time you will also see my three children on screen.

During 'Om Shanti Om' there was the Manoj Kumar controversy. Have you been more cautious this time?

We haven't included Manojji in the film. I am a very big fan of his and after the shoot of 'Om Shanti Om' I got the chance to go and meet him and bond with him. This time around, we used a song from 'Upkaar', while he is robbing the train everybody is singing 'mere desh ki dharti…'. I didn't want to take any chances this time though we had taken rights from Sa Re Ga Ma. But Akshay, Shirish and me, all three of us wanted to tell him and show him the climax, which we did eventually. We asked him if there is a problem with it, we will change the song, but he was very gracious and we are very thankful to him. He loved the climax and he also gave us a 'No Objection Certificate' and now I think all is well.

How many songs and how many remixes does 'TMK' have?

This film has five songs as it is smaller compared to my previous films; it is just a 2 hour, 6 minute film. I pay a lot of attention particularly on music. I like to hear and watch good music in films, so I pay more attention to them in my own films.

Three seems to be an unavoidable number in your life. You are coming back with a film after 3 yrs, 3 stars are working together Salman, Akshay and Katrina in your film and you have 3 children too…

I don't believe in numerology, but if someone tells me that something is good for me then I do it, but don't go out of the way to go according to it. My husband bought me a car which has the number 3, it says BV 03. I don't know what he is trying to tell me through that, it better be what I am thinking. Three is somehow connected to me. Maybe, it's a good number for me. Our film has passed a lot of auspicious dates we started on the first of March which was Holi, and we ended it during the Ganesh Chaturthi week, the trailer was going on air during Diwali and our film is releasing on Christmas. We didn't choose them, except the release date. It just so happened that way.

0 Comments: